Wednesday 10 August 2016

Five great picnic spots in and around essex

So i keep hearing through the grape vine that this weekend and into next week, we are supposed to be having a heat wave. A Heatwave people!! So what better to spend this weekend, then out in the sun, with heaps load of food, a couple of drinks and a little bit of sun factor to help you along the way. I've decided to tell you about a couple of spots in and around Essex that i think are perfect for an English summer picnic, Pimms and strawberries included. 

1. First picnic spot i have in mind, is Castle Park in Colchester, probably the easiest location as it is smack bang right in the middle of the central town, and perfect for a quick spot of lunch while shopping or a good day out, with ice creams and sunbathing. I live only a 10 minute walk away and sometimes feel like i don't use this advantage enough. They hold great summer events too and when the Wimbledon is on they showcase it on big screens perfect for your lunch break. I feel it can be overlooked but none the less it has some beautiful pretty gardens, play areas for the little ones and a little stand for purchasing ice creams and drinks. 



2. My next pick, is Hatfield forest. I personally have some great childhood memories here and i feel like that place never gets old. It has acres and acres of green's and forest for kids to play in, or if your a big kid like me then you'll be as happy as Larry. You can take all the dogs too and park up in a field so you don't have to be too far from your car. If you like a walk, like i do then this is perfect, or even take your bikes and let off some steam. 

3. Next up is probably my favourite spot and that is Dedham, just on the border of suffolk, but its worth the drive if its a little bit further away, It's a stunning little village with an overload of pubs and cafe's perfect if the picnic food just didn't cover it. The river that runs through it though is definitely the star of the show. You can walk along side it and keep going till you reach the tiny village of Flatford, or you can hire a little boat out and row along the river instead. A perfect day in my opinion with friends, or a partner. The place itself is a stunner so take your camera for some great shots too.  





4. My fourth little gem is quite a new find for me, and its Alton waters, its on the outskirts of Ipswich so i'm cheating a little with this one, but its so close to Essex i think it can count. It is a gorgeous reservoir and I've been there a couple of times now. There is a little cafe for cake and drinks if need be and lots of room surrounding the reservoir to park yourself up for the day. The option for a bike ride is again very much available with bike hire and maps so you don't get yourself lost. Its a 7 mile bike ride round the whole thing but don't sweat it, the pub is just about at the half way point. Perfect for a pick me up on the way round. And if your feeling super daring there is always the option of some water sports.



5. Last but not least i feel like it's only right to end with a classic seaside picnic spot, and for me that's Frinton-on-sea. There is a few beaches in and around the Essex area but this one always wins hands down. Perfect spot for a picnic you can stay up above on the green, or make your way down and risk your sandwiches getting a little bit sandy. The town itself is super cute and has plenty of options for ice cream or that sweet boost you may need, and the beach there has always been my favourite.

So there you have it. My five favourite picnic spots. If like me you have the weekend off and still can't decide on what to do, head to one of these little locations with a picnic basket and ALL the fruit cider you can find...I promise you a great day out. Whatever you choose to do this weekend I hope its a great one and let me know what you get up to, or any other great spots that i may need to check out myself. 

Thanks for reading my lovelies x

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Amy Rowley. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig